Friday, May 25, 2007

Book of the Week

Last week (or maybe the week before) I tried to sell back some of my old textbooks. At the FTX Bookstore on Baxter, I was grieved to find that one of my books was outdated, and the other they had overstocked. But as I was waiting in line, a table of clearance books caught my eye. After eyeing them over, I found a book called Great Fortune: The Epic of the Rockefeller Center. The hardback book was heavy, and nearly 500 pages in length. My goal was to sell books, not buy more. But, needless to say, I departed from the bookstore with one book more than I had upon arrival.

The book it amazing. And the preface includes a line that I found particularly delightful. It reads,

To Lawrence F.H. Okrent,
who got me interested in
everything that's interesting
The book can be found at, http://www.amazon.com/Great-Fortune-Epic-Rockefeller-Center/dp/0670031690

Today I began to read; it's a slow read, but trendy and elegantly written, though heavy with content. I found myself growing angry at each customer who arrived and forced me to stop mid-sentence to care for their stupid laundry; why must they bother me?

No comments: