Saturday, July 23, 2011

Verse of the Week

Here is a verse I've enjoyed this week and finally was able to locate today:
"Now give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people; for who can judge this great people of Yours?"
- 2 Chronicles 1:10
This was Solomon's prayer - that he would be proper before the people of God. As we "go out and come in" before God's people, we need to have such a heart. The next verse is encouraging to me (v.11):
"Then God said to Solomon, Because this is on your heart and you have not asked for riches, wealth, or honor, nor for the life of those who hate you, nor have you even asked for long life, but have asked for wisdom and knowledge for yourself so that you may judge My people over whom I have made you king;"
The more we know God, the more we will know what is on His heart. Then, rather than asking for material blessing or outward consolation, our heart would be turned to care for the people of God. Eventually, like the sons of Korah in Psalm 84 we could proclaim, "Blessed is the man whose strength is in You; In whose heart are the highways to Zion." 


No comments: