Thursday, April 10, 2008

Narrative of the Negotiating Table

White: I believe I'd like to have this center area; its very strategic and the view is great.
Black: No, no you don't. You'd better let me settle here. My long term prospects are stronger if I can control this area. I'll be right across from you here, at E5; so you don't get any foolish ideas and try to come closer.
White: Suit yourself, we'll compromise for that part. But I'm going to send somebody there to D4 to support my associates, just in case you get out of hand.
Black: Your proposal is entertaining White. You realize you are very vulnerable from there? I could cross over there and take you down.
White: Yes, but you know what would happen. There's no way you'd make that sacrifice this early. There's nothing for you to gain. Besides, a weakness in your formation will appear.
Black: We should trade on my terms.
White: Hmmm, okay I'll accept. Don't you know that I'm giving you an advantage here? This is a really good deal for you.
Black: Yes its very tempting. But I prefer the Sicilian, so I'm going to have proceed otherwise.
White: You're no working very hard. It's okay though, I'm just going to advance to this spot up here by B5. You're at an impasse now. Suppose you're going to have to go ahead and make a concession over there on B7.
Black: Mr. White you're always so quick to make demands. Don't you realize this is, by my calculations, a zero-sum scenario. There's no way I would accommodate your ploy. I'm going to have to put you in check for saying that!

From my forthcoming book, If Pawns Could Speak.
Just kidding.

No comments: