Saturday, December 20, 2008

It's a wonderful life

The Times has an interesting piece this morning about the classic movie "It's a Wonderful Life." This is a movie I have never seen, and was recently encouraged to watch. As Wendell Jamieson explains, "Lots of people love this movie of course. But I’m convinced it’s for the wrong reasons. Because to me 'It’s a Wonderful Life' is anything but a cheery holiday tale."

As A.O. Scott explains "Everybody knows this movie as a uplifting, heartwarming holiday tale, but if you look at it again a very different picture emerges. It's a wonderful life is a dark disturbing fable about greed, exploitation, misery, and disappointment."

Here's the link: Wonderful? Sorry, George, It’s a Pitiful, Dreadful Life

I'll probably rent it tonight...

Addendum: And here's another article I just found, along similar lines. It's interesting, but I still haven't been able to rent the movie.

No comments: