Thursday, March 20, 2008

I'm from Barcelona

One of the most delightfully obscure bands I've stumbled upon lately is a peppy little group from Sweden, I'm from Barcelona. Plagued with a somewhat redundant band title, their music is initially quite obnoxious, busy and indelibly repetitive. But their unique sound grows fast on the curious listener; the same lyrics repeated over and over in the song "Treehouse" make the song simple, but hardly boring. The rhythm varies enough to keep you fast on your toes. I enjoy the almost comical song, "Britney," a sort of parody about yesterday's celebrated pop icon. And my favorite perhaps, "Oversleeping," which resonates deeply with the experience of the typical college student. Their egalitarian lyrics triumph in "We're from Barcelona" which features a full supporting cast of harmonizing vocals - supposedly all friends of the lead singer.

No comments: